This salad is something I tend to prepare anytime I have guest. My girlfriend Capi gifted me with this amazing dough bowl after I oohed and awed over hers for so long. To this day it is one of the best gifts I have ever received along with the salads that so inspired me at her home (thanks Cap! xo). It creates the most beautiful and charming center piece for any table. The fruit and pecans on top of the mixed baby greens in this salad make a vibrant splash on the wood. I used mixed baby greens in this recipe that usually contain mixes of spinach, red and green lettuces, baby red chard, and hopefully the powerhouse of nutrients arugula. This salad is on the menu for our Organic Garden Party for Kids with Cascadian Farms so make sure to visit there too. Enjoy!
1 container of organic mixed baby greens
2 cups arugula
2 oranges, peeled and sliced
1 pint strawberries, quartered
spicy pecans (recipe below)
maple balsamic vinaigrette (recipe below)
blue cheese (if not dairy free)
1. Place greens in salad bowl and top with fruit and pecans.
2. When you are ready to serve toss the salad with the dressing.
2 cups pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup
4 T. raw cane sugar
2 T. chili powder (I like The Spice Hunter or Simply Organic brands)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1. Place the pecans in enough hot water to cover them with the maple syrup and soak for 15 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl combine raw cane sugar, chili powder, cayenne, and black pepper.
3. Drain the pecans and mix into the dry mixture.
4. Spread the pecans on a sprayed baking sheet.
5. Bake on 350 for 8-10 minutes until just crisp.
Maple Balsamic Dressing
3 T. Pure Grade B or A maple syrup (no additives)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup grape seed oil
3 T. spicy mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1. Mix all ingredients together and whisk until blended well.
2. Save the rest in a container for the next salad or marinade.
Make sure you enter to win this fantastic gift basket provided by Cascadian Farms with a simple click. I hope that you have fun making an organic feast with your crew. This was a wonderful day! Good luck……
Other recipes on the menu for our Organic Garden Party for Kids~
All of the amazing photos are shot by Laura Reynoso Photography.